East Providence, Rhode Island
East Providence: East Providence) is a city in Providence County, Rhode Island, the United States. The population in the 2000 population census was 48,688, but in 2010 the population decreased to 47,037. It is the fifth largest city in the state in population.
City of East Providence
an old arched Boston and Providence railway bridge in East Providence
East Providence Location in Rhode Island
East Providence, Rhode Island
East Providence, Rhode Island
|Coordinates: 41 degrees 48 minutes 49 seconds north latitude 71 degrees 22 minutes 12 seconds west longitude / 41 degrees 81361 degrees north latitude 71.37000 degrees west longitude / 41.81361; -71.37000|
City of East Providence
|city manager||Richard M. Brown|
|City||43.02 km2 (16.61 mi2)|
|land||34.7 km2 (13.4 mi2)|
|water surface||8.3 km2 (3.2 mi2)|
|water area ratio||19.33%|
|Elevation||19 m (62 ft)|
|population||(as of 2010)|
|population density||1426/km2 (3692/mi2)|
|equal time||Eastern Standard Time (UTC-5)|
|daylight saving time||Eastern Daylight Time (UTC-4)|
|Official website: City of East Providence|
Located in the suburbs of Providence City, it is part of the Providence Urban Area, which has a population of over 1.6 million people as of 2005.
In 1641, the Plymouth Colony purchased a vast land from the Indians, including today's East Providence (from Wachemoket to Ramford). The land also included part of Rehobos, SeaConk, and Porter's pocket in Massachusetts. Four years later, John Browne of Plymouth bought a fairly small piece of land from the Indians. It consisted of the southern part of East Providence (Riverside), Burlington, and the small part of Swansea, the present Massachusetts. Finally, in 1661, Plymouth completed the "Northern Acquisition", which included the towns of Atlborough, North Atlborough, Massachusetts, and Cumberland, Rhode Island. The center of this large reclaimed land is sometimes called 'Old Rejobos,' and is included in the city area of present-day East Providence. In 1812, the eastern half of Old Rejobos became a separate Township called Sikonku, Massachusetts. The center of the Old Rejovos town is now the center of the Old Sea Conc. In 1862, the west side of the Old SeaConc was ceded to Rhode Island State, and it became an autonomous body as East Providence.
In the decades ahead of the Civil War, the Wachemoke Point was probably a region of hundreds of farmers and fisheries. The Wachemoquette was located on the other side of the prosperous Providence City, so it benefited from the expansion of provisioning. More importantly, two bridges were built over the SeaConc River between the Providence and the River, which made it easy to come and go. By the 1869's, the toll on the Washington Bridge and the Central Bridge was abolished and this was a great incentive for the growth of Wachemoke, and it was changed from a slumped fishing village to an important core of the town of East Providence, which was converted into a municipality in 1862. The first business to enter the Wachemotte was an inn built for many travelers through the area. The residents of Wachemoke had their libraries by the early 1870s. At first, the group members called the Women's Library Association, but in 1885 they changed their name to the Wachemoke Free Public Library. In the middle of the 1880s, Wachemoquette was the center of commerce and housing, but it also became the center of politics. The town hall was transferred from Ramford to the central part of the Wachemocke, so it became easy to get in touch with. The political leader bought the land along Tone Avenue for $11,500 and a two-story brick building opened in 1889. In the same year, the East Providence Police Station established its office in the town hall. From around 1900 to 1930 when the Great Depression began, many Portuguese immigrants from Providence, Fall River, New Bedford and Portugal entered East Providence. By 1905, there were more than 400 Portuguese in the town, and the number of Portuguese in the state was third. The Portuguese, like other minorities, came to East Providence primarily for work. The Wachemoke area has many employment opportunities and has many immigrants.
For a while after the town system was established in 1862, the area around the old 'green ring' was called the center of East Providence. The official town hall was placed here until 1889, and there were several churches. Along the Tenmile River, there were many farms and factories, and the East Providence population was central. Then the population center of East Providence moved to Wachemockett.
From 1645, when they purchased the Wanamoy set, to the Civil War, the coast from Wachemoket to Barox Point remained a land of almost no-living agriculture and fishing. When East Providence put the Town System under its control, a few hundred inhabitants lived in the settlement on the coast. The white pioneers first learned from One Panoag Indians that they could acquire a large amount of crustacean in the region. The sea of Naraganset Bay, which washed the coasts of Wanamoisett even after more than two centuries, had abundant food and fishery resources. Hamaguri, Hombinosugai and oysters were caught by the residents of Wanamoisett and sold at the Providence. Arnold Medbury, for example, had a spade on the beach and started catching a lot of clams. He carried the shells in a cart and sold the day's crop easily at a providence. At that time, Medbury and his neighbors were called 'hamaguri-bori' (digging hamaguri), a word that was looked down upon as a disdainful country.
In the early 19th century, people had already started to build summer houses, and the village population was doubled to 500 or 600. Around this time, the districts such as Cedar Grove, Lewis Station, Chimney Corners, Pecz Corner, Pleasant Bluffs, Sabbins Point, Shamans Station and Pomam developed. A new resort facility like Pomam House has been built. Many roads were bordered by streets and houses, Christian churches were established, a library was constructed, and Narraganset Engine Company was established in 1878. Around this time, the residents were no longer considered as 'clam digging' but as residents of the town. In the midst of many economic activities, Charles I. D. Ruff came to the riverside. He was a New York-based furniture maker, and spent his spare time in the cellar carving his favorite wooden horse. After years of hard work, he built up a steam-driven rotating wooden horse and sold it to Crescent Park. He moved the revolving horse and designed a summer recreation area. By the early 1900s, New England people had come to regard Crescent Park as one of the best amusement parks in the region. Roof completed a dream project, and his family continued to run Crescent Park after his death.
East Providence was 41 degrees, 48 minutes, 49 seconds north latitude 71 degrees, 22 minutes, 12 seconds west longitude / 41.81361 degrees north latitude 71.37000 degrees west longitude / 41.81361; -71.37000. According to the National Census Bureau, the entire area of the city is 16.6 square miles (43.0 km2), of which land is 13.4 square miles (34.7 km2), water surface is 3.2 square miles (8.3 km 2), and water surface is 19.33%.
The next area called Village is located in East Providence.
- East Providence Center
East Providence City is run by a five-member city council. The committee will serve two years and four will be elected from the city's constituencies and one from the whole city. The City Government Committee sets up the city's policies and ordinances. At the beginning of the City Council's term of office, the mayor (the present mayor is Joseph Larisa Jr.) is elected from among the members of the committee, and the City Attorney, the City Secretary, and some of the ceremonial officers are appointed.
The city's daily operations are run by the city's Board of Government and are carried out by the City Manager (now Richard Brown) who works under a fixed contract. The city manager employs all city employees except legal and clerical staff and manages the municipal administration. The City Manager is required by the ordinance to have a master's degree in business administration, master of administration, or equivalent degrees as a professional qualification.
There is also an educational committee to be elected in the summer of the same year as the city government committee. The City Council will nominate the Library Trust Council, and other boards of governing and advisory affairs, as well as the Board of Government Affairs.
East Providence has set up a committee to redevelop the old industrial zones and vacant lots in the most part of the Sikonku River, which stretches 14 miles (22 km), as mixed land for housing, commerce and light industry.
The following is demographic data from the 2000 census.
Many residents from Portugal, the Azores and the Cape Verde.
Households and family (number of households)
income and family
There are public and private schools in East Providence. There are eight public elementary schools and two junior high schools. The public high schools are the Globe Avenue Education and Development Center, the East Providence Regional Vocational Technology Center, and the East Providence High School. There are four private schools.
National Register of Historic Places
- The House of Bicnell Arminton Lightning Splitter
- Boston and Providence Railway Bridge
- brijam plantation
- Carpenter Lakeside and Springbeale Cemetery
- a revolving wooden horse of the roof of Crescent Park (United States National Historic Building)
- House of Nathaniel Daggett
- James Dennis' House
- 6th District School Building
- Little Neck Cemetery
- Newman Cemetery
- New Man Church
- an odd-fellow hole
- Pommrocks Light
- Richmond Paper Mill
- Ramford Chemical Company and Factory Historic Center
- Ramford Historic Center
- Scantum Association
- St. Mary's Episcopal Church
- Philip Walker's house
- whitcom plantation
- World War I memorial
well known resident
- Claudia Jordan - TV and radio personality, Miss Road Island, 1997
- Rebecca DiPietro model, 2006 WWE Women's Championship participants
- Meredith Vieira - NBC's News Show Today host
- Davy Ropez - Major League Baseball players, Los Angeles Dodgers, etc.
- Estes Buddy Rogers - Maryland Terrapins, American football player
- Alner Shepherd Son Abel (1806-1888) - Born in East Providence, trained at Providence Patriot, later published by Philadelphia Public Ledger and Baltimore Sun.
- Jamie Silva NFL players Indianapolis Colts
- Pedro Blas-Soccer players
- Ron Wilson-American Ice Hockey Coach at the Olympics and Toronto Maple Leaves coach
- Kevin Robinson - Cycling Motocross players
- ^ State & County QuickFacts, East Providence (city), Rhode Island, 2011-12-24 Read
- ^ US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990, United States Census Bureau, (2011-02-12)Available April 23, 2011.
- ^ East Providence | Rhode Island news | projo.com | The Providence Journal
- ^ East Providence Waterfront Commission
- ^ Who Was Who in America, Historical Volume, 1607-1896. Chicago: Marquis Who's Who. (1963)
- Our Heritage: A History of East Providence, Joseph Forti
- City of East Providence - Official Site
- East Providence Police Department
- East Providence Fire Department
- East Providence Community Theatre
- East Providence Public Library